Lifting Up the World With a Oneness-Heart
The "Lifting Up the World with a Oneness-Heart" program is a unique award that was offered by Sri Chinmoy to recognise individuals from all walks of life who had inspired and uplifted humanity. Sri Chinmoy lifted the recipients overhead either with one arm or both arms using a specially constructed platform in a symbolic gesture of oneness with their uplifting achievements.
“I am trying with my capacity to encourage and inspire people in various walks of life who have inspired others in sports, literature, science or politics, or in their own personal lives. I lift them up to show my appreciation for their achievements,”
- Sri Chinmoy
Beginning June 1988, Sri Chinmoy honoured more than 8,300 individuals in this manner, including Heads of State, diplomats, spiritual and religious leaders of many faiths, distinguished achievers in the arts and in literature, Nobel laureates and world class athletes. Sri Chinmoy also recognised individuals, less well known, but providing important public service, such as firemen, doctors, pilots and academics.
Speaking on the motivation for the lifting programme, Sri Chinmoy said:
“I am a truth-seeker and a God-lover. I pray and meditate so that I can establish my oneness with each and every human being in the whole world. I am lifting up the individuals who have contributed much to the world at large. They have inspired countless people on earth, and I feel it is obligatory on my part to show them some appreciation from the depth of my heart.”
~ Sri Chinmoy
Recipients of the Award include
A small selection:
- President Nelson Mandela, Mar. 9th, 1999
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu, March 16, 2004
- President Ranasinghe Premadasa of Sri Lanka, Jan. 4th, 1990
- President Jorge E. Illueca of Panama, Jul. 21st, 1989
- President Guido de Marco of Malta, May 1st, 1991
- Muhammad Ali, June 12, 2003
- Lifting up the World with a Oneness-heart at Inspiration-Lifts. Includes video with Desmond Tutu and actress Helen Hunt talking about being lifted.
- Are Miracles Real? - Rabbi Marc Gellman talks about the experience of being lifted. Originally published Newsweek, 29th Oct, 2007.
- Video - Sri Chinmoy lifting players from A.C. Milan